Friday, April 15, 2011

The Best Punishment Toys are Sometimes Made at Home*

* Or, I am writing this post rather late and very quickly because I am about to be punished and am v v nervous about it.

There are lots and lots of websites out there that sell BDSM gear and toys. There's bondage gear, punishment toys, pleasure toys, pony play, medical play, shibari supplies, gear for men, gear for women, etc etc, the list goes on and on and I'm sure you've seen it all before. And if you haven't, it'll take you two clicks on google to see what I'm talking about. I've linked to the Stockroom before; here's another place I like to shop at, Grand Opening (located in the Boston area), that actually specializes in lesbian boutique but offers a wide range of stuff, and their staff is simply amazing.

But the truth is, when it comes to punishment gear, you don't need to spend a hell of a lot of money to have some "fun," or at least, get the job done. Any toy store (and I mean a real, honest to god children's toy store, not the kind that sells sex toys) will sell a variety of paddles, used for different sports or activities. One of my husband's favorite paddles is an extra-wide wood one that originally had a ball attached on a string, and was used by one of our kids as a fun bouncy-toy. But the string snapped off, and my husband found a whole different use for it. Honestly, I think one of the reasons he likes it so much is because he gets a kick out of the fact that it says "Bounce Back Fun!" across the handle.

He also likes the 24" ruler one of my kids got at Target but couldn't use because it wouldn't fit in his backpack. It's thin, and pliant, and has sharp edges; and that thing has a bite you wouldn't believe.

Canes and paddles can be made with stuff you can buy at Home Depot or Orchard Supply. Even a hairbrush can be altered to the specifications of the user, and be made to fit the proportions you're looking for.

And there is something very intimate about making your own toys. The feeling of ownership, of laying claim, is increased and enhanced. I can see it in my husband's eyes: he's welded and shaped the toy to his liking, and now he's going to use it to weld and shape me to his liking. There's possessiveness, a raw power in that.

The only toys we haven't figured out how to make ourselves, at least to our liking, are the leather ones. Belts work fine, of course, and every man owns at least one belt...although I would suggest having at least three: a new one with stiff leather, a broken-in one with pliant leather, and a child's belt that is shorter and typically thinner.

But for a good flogger, it's best to buy one. Unless you want strips of leather suddenly flying all over the place. Which will only make you laugh, and then you end up getting another five with the ruler. Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment