Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Numbers (no BDSM in this post, just info about the stories)

My Tales of the Hotel Bentmoore stories went live on B&N on the 16th. Figuring out Amazon is a little trickier, because I did things wrong, and then I had to take them down for a couple days to make changes, blah blah blah...but we'll keep the dates together with B&N to make things easier.

In the last month, I've sold about 630 copies of the stories. Is this good? I don't know. This blog is relatively new, I just joined Twitter (and still don't know what the FUCK I am doing over there, if someone could email me with help with that I would be, um, appreciative) and my husband helped me put up a website for the stories, thehotelbentmoore.com, although I think that was just so that I own the url and no one else takes it away from me.

In other words, I'm still working on that dreaded word, "platform." I'm such a newbie at these things--I've been at it for, what, two months? There are erotica authors that have been doing this for years. YEARS. And writing stories and books and novellas for probably longer than I've been alive, or at least out of diapers.

The business side of it, the numbers side, can be daunting to handle. As a writer, you want to sell as many copies of your stories as you can. You want to be as widely known as you can. You want to let people know your stories are out there--and then sit back and leave it up to them to decide if it's good or not, and not make a mistake like that woman did (who shall remain nameless here on this blog although I will link to the post that started the shit storm) and complain like a raving madwoman when someone gives you a bad review.

So it's hard, in that it's time consuming, and full of unknowns, and 99% of the time I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

But I'm still having fun. The first story of the new collection, Masters of the Hotel Bentmoore, is done, it just needs some editing, and I've already got the cover. My cover artist is even working on the cover for the second story, even though it isn't complete yet.

It's a blast. I'M HAVING A BLAST. And hopefully, the people who bought those 630 copies had a blast reading them (double entendre intended).

So I'll learn as I go, and keep going, and keep writing. Because at the end of the day, for me, that's what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment